Friday, May 29, 2009

we are family


dear readers, the peeps have started their family therapy sessions. they were originally referred for family therapy when things were rather more fraught on the domestic front but as there is quite a waiting list it has only just started. the sessions are held at the clinic for sad, fearful and deranged young people, where my boy goes to see his psychiatrist.

the peeps were slightly nervous at the prospect of family life being put under the microscope. as regular readers will know, the peeps are a little on the eccentric side. but they need not have been concerned. the sessions are with a very nice man called dr roger. as well as him, there are some ladies who sit in the room next door and watch what is going on via a video link. dr roger has a little earpiece which the ladies use to cheer him on. there is a one way mirror as well, through which the ladies can peer into the room.

young dave and i were not allowed to go to family therapy. this is because it is held in part of the hospital and there is a risk of germs. young dave and i are very careful about germs, as regular readers will know. but the peeps were very enthusiastic when they returned, so we very quickly learned what happened.

it seems that it was quite some way into the session before dr roger realised that he was only seeing part of the family. he discovered this when he asked what my boy did when he was stressed about something. my boy said that he came and sat with me and young dave as we were very calming. i am not sure i would concur that young dave is calming but i will gloss over this. dr roger asked my boy to tell him about us.

"well joker is 11 years old and is very wise, a bit like gandalf," he said, "and dave is nearly a year old and is all floppy and chaotic. joker is the sanest member of the family."

dr roger turned to the peeps and asked them if they agreed with my boy's view. both peeps nodded vigorously. herself even went as far as to say that i was the only sane member of the family, a statement which himself and my boy wholeheartedly agreed with. to be frank they could not really fail to concur. dr roger said that he was not sure about the policy of the clinic for sad, fearful and deranged young people as far as dogs coming to family therapy. i think it may have been a first for him.

i think it is probably best if we don't go. once young dave was introduced into the proceedings things would very quickly start to unravel...

12 comments:

flutter said...

that actually sounds like a fabulous session. Good on you for making the effort as a family

Jos said...

Whilst sanity may be totally desireable in those of the canine persuasion, I am not at all convinced it is a status that the peeps should aspire to. Eccentricity rocks! xxJ

Rikkij said...

I think the world could use more of the peeps kinda normal. The energy level seems a tad low in that pic. woof! ~rick

Woman in a Window said...

I love that picture. Holy freaken hell, I do. I'd like to hug him up. Oh yes, and the boy too. both rather handsome. I have a feeling and who am I to have one of those, but I have a feeling that that boy is awfully special in the change the world kinda way.

Anonymous said...

I thinks dogs should be included in sessions! What a great idea. Your young boy is very insightful.
Good for you for going, the doctor sounds very nice.
Remember sanity is a relative term, lol.
XXXXX

Anonymous said...

Having met both herself and Joker, I concur. Joker is a wise old soul.

As for sanity, I can't judge, having such tenuous hold on it myself.

Lou said...

yes I agree with anonymous me - sanity is way overated - I am a big fan of the eccentricity of this family

Lynanne said...

Um.... While you, dear Joker, may have a health regard for germs, I hardly think young Dave's fondness for mouthing dead things could be described as "careful about germs." Can't you just see young Dave emerging from the morgue with some fragment or other from the last autopsy? It might do him well to stay far away from the hospital. :)

That aside, I agree with the other comments. Embrace the eccentricity. It is the sane people who are out of their mind. :)

Anonymous said...

We let dogs come all of the time! I vote yes for the Joker to attend and I am a therapist. Tell the Dr Roger to move the session to another part of the hospital! I too adore that picture- where the dog begins and the boy ends is hard to tell. Eccentric? Lovely. Truly- best to you in the family therapy- a reflecting team is pretty darn fancy!

hooray said...

Sounds like a wonderful session to me. Good thing the "most sane" family member is writing the blog entries. LOL! Sweet!

And the boy sounds awesome and insightful and delightful all at once.

hooray said...

oh, and I LOVE THAT PHOTO! HOW CUTE ARE THEY!!!

Vetnurse said...

You should move the sessions and just keep a foot near "young Dave" so if he tries to go tackle fishing he could be dissuaded with a poke.